Answers To Frequently Ask Family Law Questions

Family law disputes in California are complex legal cases that can bring up many questions. Our Riverside law firm has seen the problems that new clients can face, and we work to give every person a straightforward explanation of the law. Here we have compiled a few frequently asked questions (FAQ) about the California divorce process, child custody proceedings and other aspects of family law.

Do I need an attorney to file for divorce?

Divorcing spouses who can work together to resolve their issues may be able to file for an uncontested divorce. It is still recommended that a person filing for an uncontested divorce have a lawyer who can help them understand their rights and manage the courtroom process.

If a divorcing couple has a combative relationship, then a proven divorce attorney is necessary. A divorce filing can have many intense disputes and conflicts over the division of assets or support payments. A knowledgeable litigator can fight for your interests and protect your rights.

What are my options if I do not receive the full amount of a child support payment?

If a parent does not receive the entire amount of a child support payment they have a few options for order enforcement. A parent can contact the California Department of Child Support Services to start the enforcement process. They can also work with a knowledgeable child support lawyer who can gather all case details and communicate on their behalf.

Can a parent with physical child custody move to another state?

The parent who has custody of their child may be able to move to a different state, but they must give the other parent notice about their intention to move, and they may need a court order granting them permission. A judge can order changes in a custody or support order if issues do arise. The moving parent should speak with a child custody attorney who understands "move-away" cases.

Get Answers To All Your Questions In A Free Consultation

Our family law FAQ cannot answer every question but our attorney can give you complete answers in a free consultation. Call us now at 951-787-8700 or send us an email to set up your free first meeting.