A Skilled Advocate For California Move-Away Cases

Parents who have a child custody agreement in California can face difficulties when trying to move a long distance or out-of-state with their child. Custodial and noncustodial parents need a skilled lawyer for their move-away case who can represent their best interests.

People in Riverside County who are facing a move-away dispute can come to the Law Offices of Linda J. Claypool. Our compassionate family law attorney can help you find the balance of maintaining the best interests of your child while working to get a fair custody agreement. We pursue the results that our clients want and our lawyer will manage the complex legal process.

Moving Out-Of-State With A Custody Agreement

Parents who want to move a long distance or out-of-state must follow the legal procedures for relocating. Parents who make mistakes while relocating may have unwanted changes to their child custody agreement. Our attorney can make sure that you meet your legal obligations, and she will work to get you the best possible outcome for your case.

In California, typically a custodial parent must give written notice to the noncustodial parent at least 45 days before the expected move. The parents can then work together to create a new custody agreement. If the noncustodial parent does not agree to the move, they can file an objection to the family court. This objection can lead to a hearing, where a judge can decide that a change in custody and visitation is in the child's best interests.

The court evaluates many factors in a move-away hearing, including:

  • The child's need to maintain stability and existing relationships
  • The child's ability to maintain a strong relationship with both parents
  • The distance and reason for the custodial parent's move
  • The capacity for both parents to communicate and work together
  • The child's preference, if they are of a reasonable age

If a parent does move with a child, the new custody agreement may involve both parents sharing travel costs. The visitation schedule can also include extended parenting time during holidays and school breaks.

Our Law Firm Can Review Your Relocation After Divorce Case For Free

We can discuss the terms of your move-away dispute and give you an idea of what you can expect in a free consultation. You can schedule your free consultation by calling 951-787-8700 or filling out the contact form.